Friday, November 10, 2006

The Bad Day...How it all Began


Somehow I knew that fateful day was going to be a bad day. One of those days where something goes so horribly wrong that it leaves you forever affected. Reflecting on it now I realize that that I should have made some better choices.

It started off when I decided to follow Timothy and Elliot out to the forest. We knew that we weren't supposed to be out playing by the waterfalls. There had been reports that the area was haunted, but we didn't care. We were more interested in the treasure that was supposedly hidden in the forest.

We made our way up the mountain and as we crossed the fallen tree that bridged the divide high above the water fall I lost my footing and plummeted to the earth. I was certain that my short life was coming to an end. Sure enough, my speedy decent was met with a sudden halt; that was when everything went black.

I awoke a few hours later in the shallow creek that rested at the base of the waterfall. To my surprise I was alive and without broken bone. However I was sore, cut up, bruised, and felt as if I had just fallen from an unimaginable height and somehow survived. Looking around I knew generally where I was at and I wanted to get home as soon as possible. Hopefully I would cut Elliot and Timothy off before they were able to tell the Elder what happened. No sense in all of us getting into trouble if I was okay.

As I oriented myself to my surroundings I heard someone call my name. I called back, but there was no response. I was certain that Timothy and Elliot were still somewhere near and I hoped that I would run into them.

I walked for some time before I finally found a path back to the village. The path looked to have been abandoned for years for it was blocked off by an impossible to navigate thicket of thorn bushes and weeds. There was no way that I would have been able to wade my way through the tangle, so I went in search for something -anything- that would help me cut my way through.

I searched the area until I came to a large stone with a rusty sword protruding out of it in the center of the shallow creek. Something struck me as odd about the whole situation. I stood and considered my plight when a voice interupted my thoughts. A voice which called my name asking me to pull the sword. I called back, but no answer. Then in that moment I recalled the countless stories that testified of the forest being haunted. Enough was enough, and I was getting out of there.

I pulled with all my might until the sword broke free. I lost my balance and ended up on my back in the water...again. I sat up and the voice called out to me once more. This time it was not just a disembodied voice, but the spirit of a knight that stood before me calling my name.

"Mike...Mike...It is I who called upon you...the sword..."

He sounded desperate but faded away before he could say anymore. The only response I could offer was,

"This sword?"

As soon as I uttered those words a blinding light exploded from the sword and the stone, and again I found myself on my back and in the water. I scrambled to my feet and ran off towards the path. The sooner I could get home, the better.

The sword was rusty, but effective. I cut my way through and headed towards my home in Potos. Sure enough my adventure wasn't over. As I made my way through the thicket I came face to face with a rabite. I had heard of these rabites, even saw drawings, but they were said to exist far from my home. The thing attacked and I had no choice but to fight back. I continued on my way fighting rabite after rabite. There many of them, but soon I had a handle on the sword and they were cowering before me. I could not figure out for the life of me how these rabites had gotten so near my village.

I made my way to the village and was greeted by a several villagers telling me that the Elder was furious and had been looking for me. I figured I better face the music and ran to his home. There he was screaming at Elliot and Timothy, who were selling me out and blaming me for the whole outing. (Bastards!) The Elder saw me coming up and broke his screaming long enough to inspect my cuts and bruises. Then he continued yelling about how we knew better and how there were now a wave of monsters that had appeared from no where attacking the village, and then he stopped mid scream staring at was in my hand. His stair was accompanied by Timothy and Elliot. The Elder then stated that I had the Mana Sword.

Elliot lost it. His fat ass was on me like white on rice. He screamed incoherently and swung wildly until the earth gave a violent shake and swallowed us whole. Again, on my back, but this time in mud. I stood and saw Elliot cower in the corner and a great Mantis Ant screaming before me.

I believe Elliot's words were: "You have a sword, use it!"

What was I supposed to do? I used it.

I swung wildly as a stranger kept barking out instructions from the opening of the underground cavern I had found myself in. The only reason I tolerated his help was due to the fact that he kept casting some sort of strange healing magic upon me. Finally I had wore the beast down. I made my final strike...and the damn thing exploded...leaving a strange orb behind.

I picked up the orb and the stranger helped Elliot and I out of the cavern. He said his name was Jema and explained that he had come to free the sword, but he was dismayed to find that I had beaten him to it. I eagerly offered him the sword, however he rejected it explaining that only the one who freed the sword could restore its legendary power. He left the village asking me to meet him and a Sage Luka at the famous Water Palace where they both would be ablt to enlighten me as to the unfortunate event that I had fallen into.

I wanted just to rest, but no. I was summoned before the Elder and a mob of angry villagers demanding my banning from the village. I was having a bad day.

The Elder, regretfully, informed me that I would need to pack my things and find a new home. I took his 50gp (Gold Pieces) gift packed my things, slept, and left at first light.

So here I am; 82gp in my pockets, a few supplies, banned from my home, and for what? A bad idea and poor judgement. I don't know where this road will lead me. Somewhere far from here I suppose. At any rate, I think I am going to track down this Jema character and see what light he can shed on my...situation.

3 comments:

Kassidy said...

I knew it! I told my wife I saw a light coming from over in Potos, but would she believe me?

The monsters haven't been attacking too severely over here Southtown, but I have noticed a lot of activity from the youths in the village. I wonder what they're up to...

Rev. Rumble Fish said...

The youths? Damn rabble rousers! They see a light and a few monsters and next thing you know they're trying to loot, riot, and bring down the government. Keep your eyes open. If they get too out of control don't be afraid to pull out your belt and put those bastards in their place!

Perhaps I will make my way to South Town at some point and investigate the matter. For now I really must get to Gaia's Navel and visit with the Dwarves.

Anonymous said...

Monsters.....ahhh.....I'm just going o sit here and stare at my gold fish